History Of Khedive Temple #16, AEAONMS North & Southern Jurisdiction, Inc. PHA
Khedive (pronounced: KEY-DIVE or KHA'-DEAVE) Temple #16 was first chartered as St. Joseph Temple in 1905. The name was later changed to KHEDIVE Temple and executed on January 12, 1923.The Egyptian Word/Name Khedive (from Persian for "lord", also known as "viceroy") was a title granted to the governor and monarch of Egypt, Ismail Pasha in 1867 by his nominal overlord the Ottoman Sultan Abd-ul-Aziz. From 1882, Egypt was under British military occupation, but the Khedive remained on his throne and the country was still nominally under Turkish sovereignty. When World War I broke out in 1914, Egypt belonged to Turkey and was ruled by a Khedive.
Egypt had gained the position after Mehemet Ali led a rebellion against the Ottoman sultan and became the ruler of Egypt. Ismail's son Tewfik Pasha inherited the title, as did Tewfik's son Abbas. Abbas was deposed by the British in 1914 because he declared war on the United Kingdom due to the fact that his nominal overlord the Sultan of Turkey was on Germany's side, and the title ended with him. Later rulers were known as Pashas. After Turkey sided with Germany in World War I, however Britain deposed the Khedive and declared Egypt a British protectorate.
Much of the record keeping and continuity of our local history is unaccounted for , therefore, we have obtained some of our facts from the recollection of Noble W.H. Mack, PP. Noble Mack, one of the organizations oldest members in terms of longevity, recalls the names of some of his predecessors who have served as the Temple's Illustrious Potentate. These include: Noble Robert E. "Bob" Williams, owner of Bob's Savoy, a popular club and restaurant operated during the 1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's; Noble Leslie Shortridge, co owner of Shortridge Funeral Home; and Noble D.L. Breedlove, contractor.
Khedive Temple purchased the Old Southern Burial Funeral Home located on 15th street between 6th and 7th Avenue in Birmingham, Alabama. This move was made under Noble D.L. Breedlove's administration. Temple Meetings which had been held in the Prince Hall Masonic Temple Building in Downtown Birmingham were now changed to the newly acquired building.
A Shrine meeting hall was made on the upper floor of the building. The building was rented for $200 per month with the option to buy. The Members opened a Shriner's Grenadier's Club under the auspices of the Imperial Council, to which regular reports had to be made. The Club was open to the public during the 1950's.
In the early 1960's, Khedive Temple decided to relocate back to the Masonic Temple Building. This move was executed under the leadership of Noble William H. Mack. Noble Mack was elected Illustrious Potentate of Khedive Temple #16 in 1962.
Some of the members in this time were: Noble Charles V. Hendley, Grand Master of the Jurisdiction of Alabama; Noble John Darks,Taxi operator; Noble Bob Williams; Noble D.L. Breedlove; Noble Leon Petty; Noble S.M. Martin; Noble Orzell Billingsly, Attorney; Noble J.J. Green, railroad worker; Noble William Shortridge; Noble (Judge)Peter A. Hall; Noble John J. Drew, Insurance Executive; Noble Charles J. Green, Insurance Executive; Noble (Dr.)H.L. Dale; and Noble(Dr) E.W.Taggart. Since this Time, KHEDIVE Temple has remained housed in the Masonic Temple.
Noble W.H. Mack served as the Illustrious Potentate of Khedive Temple until 1998. Since Noble Mack, other Nobles from within the temple have served dutifully as Illustrious Potentate. Noble Thomas Tolbert served from 1999-2000, Noble Victor B. Pettus served from 2001-2002, Noble Derrick Hudson served from 2003-2004, Noble A.Derek Bowman served from 2005-2006, Noble Corey D. Hawkins served from 2007-2008, Noble Lyndon P. Gilliam served for 2009, Noble Scott Hickey served in 2010, Noble Larry Jones served from 2011-2012, And Noble Godfrey Johnson served from 2013-2014 and Noble Michael J. Brown served from 2015-2016. Noble Charles Motley is the current Illustrious Potentate.
Over the years, Khedive Temple has continued to thrive starting with membership in the 1960's of approximately 149 members, to at one time well over 400 members. Other names associated with Khedive Temple that have impacted either the Masonic Community, or the Community at large are: Noble S.J. Bennett, Past Grand Master of the Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge, F & AM of Alabama, Past Sovereign Grand Commander, United Supreme Council of the Ancient & Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, Southern Jurisdiction, Prince Hall Affiliated, Inc.;Noble A.G. Gaston, Insurance Executive, also Major Entrepreneur in the African American Community during the 20th Century. Presently, Khedive Temple is the Largest Temple in the Desert of Alabama.